Friday, August 17, 2007

Baking with Dylan

Dylan loves to help me in the kitchen. He pulls his stool right up to the counter and wants to do everything I am doing. So... instead of getting frustrated or making a huge mess, we've been making some great treats! I thought I'd share two of Dylan's favorites- Granola Bars and Banana Blueberry Muffins.

Granola Bars
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
3-4 cups mix-ins (mini M&Ms, peanuts, raisins, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, trail mix, almonds, spices, etc.)
14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk

Place unopened can of milk in hot water to soften while mixing dry ingredients. When oats and mix-ins are combined, stir in milk until coated. Press into a greased 10x15" jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. (We usually bake for 20 minutes because I don't like them too crunchy.) Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut bars, cover with foil, and flip out of pan to finish cooling. Break apart & store in an airtight container. Makes about 24 bars. (Sometimes we make a 1/2 batch, like in the last picture, which works great too.)


Banana Blueberry Muffins
3 lg bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

Mix ingredients in order. Fold in berries. Fill muffin tins. Sprinkle tops with white or brown sugar. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins. (Dylan likes mini muffins, so we usually make 8 large ones and use the rest of the batter for mini muffins.)




Hope you enjoy baking with your little ones as much as I enjoy doing it with Dylan! Try these recipes out next time!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Love the picture of Dylan holding the granola bars! We'll have to try that one out.

Kerin said...

such cute pictures! And thanks for the video up at the cottage- I absolutely loved it :)
by the way, you need to follow Tracy's lead now... get some pregnancy photos up on the blog! I can't believe how far along you guys are already! Love you!

T said...

loved this post! I think if I let C help at this point, we'd have a big mess on the floor. :-) I'll give him a couple months.

I agree with Kerin--where are the preggo shots? I never got to see you pregnant the first time around either!